The Provide Advanced First Aid course deals with the skills and knowledge required to provide an advanced first aid response, including management of the incident and other first aiders, until the arrival of medical or other assistance.
The course applies to individuals or workers who may be required to provide, coordinate and manage a first aid response across a range of complex situations, including community and workplace settings.
On successfully completing the training and assessment, participants will obtain a nationally accredited Statement of Attainment in the following units of competency:
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid
- CPR 12 monthly
- First Aid and Advanced First Aid 3 years
For groups of 10 or more, contact ALAQ and we can put together a tailored package that suits you, your workplace and your budget.
Specific licensing requirements relating to this competency, including requirements for refresher training, should be obtained from the relevant state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authority.
RESPOND IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION
- Recognise an emergency situation
- Identify, assess and manage immediate hazards to health and safety of self and others
- Assess the casualty and recognise the need for first aid response
- Assess the situation and seek assistance from emergency response services where required
- Deploy resources to appropriate locations as required in line with workplace procedures
APPLY APPROPRIATE FIRST AID PROCEDURES
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), as required
- Provide first aid in accordance with established first aid principles
- Display respectful behaviour towards casualty
- Obtain consent from casualty where possible
- Use available resources and equipment to make the casualty as comfortable as possible
- Operate first aid equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Monitor the casualty’s condition and respond in accordance with first aid principles
COORDINATE FIRST AID ACTIVITIES UNTIL ARRIVAL OF MEDICAL ASSISTANCE
- Identify available resources required and establish communication links with appropriate personnel, emergency management services and medical assistance as appropriate
- Deploy correct amount of required resources to appropriate locations in an effective manner to ensure timely arrival
- Document the provision of resources and recommend modifications as required
- Monitor the condition of casualties in accordance with first aid principles and workplace procedures
- Coordinate evacuation of casualties according to relevant evacuation procedures
- Arrange support services for personnel involved in the incident in accordance with relevant principles and procedures
COMMUNICATE DETAILS OF THE INCIDENT
- Accurately convey incident details to emergency response services
- Report details of incident in line with organisational policies
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information in line with statutory and/or organisational policies
EVALUATE THE INCIDENT
- Recognise the possible psychological impacts on self and other rescuers involved in critical incidents
- Participate in debriefing to address individual needs
- Evaluate management of the incident and develop an action plan in consultation with relevant parties
- Review contingency planning to identify and select alternative management principles and procedures as required
Download your ALAQ Participant Handbook here.